Friday, January 18, 2008

Frugal Friday - eating out for Valentine's Day

Some of you probably have a questioning expression on your face. Can eating out for Valentine's Day be frugal? Well, probably not! But there are a few options. My husband and I have learned that eating out on February 14th is not usually a good choice. The restaurants are crowded (even if you did make a reservation) and service is slow, etc. However I do LOVE to eat out and my husband likes to make me happy so sometimes we'll go out FOR Valentine's Day just not ON Valentine's Day. February 15th is a great day to choose (except this year b/c it's a Friday when traditionally a lot of people eat out) but probably this year Monday February 11 is a good choice (Tuesday nights are kids' night at some of the restaurants we might choose, and date night and kids' night don't mix). Another option if you really want to eat out is to contact some "fancy" restaurants about their Valentine's Day specials. Usually these only run on Valentine's Day and this is still early enough to make a reservation. For example, last year (or the year before or the year before, I can't remember) I called The Melting Pot (a fondue-ish hip place) and though it was still expensive to eat there they did have a Valentine's Day special, usually restaurants will have a special menu and selections just for 2 people and the price includes appetizer/meal/dessert/maybe drink. This might be a good way to eat out on Valentine's Day (if you so choose), remember make your reservations NOW! For a frugal approach, I would suggest looking at Amy's New Year's Eve special dinner at home.
Look at Crystal's other Frugal Fridays here.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Thank you so much for including our dinner in your list. These are all such great suggestions!

One year for Valentine's Day, while my husband was at work, I set up a folding table with chairs and did a red tablecloth on top. I made all this fancy food and then we "reserved" our table after my son went to bed. We had this fabulous dinner complete with romantic music and a "dance floor." It sounds horribly cheesy, but it was one of my favorite dinners together that we ever had.

Thanks again for including me!

Mom2fur said...

There are certain days of the year I'd avoid restaurants at all costs...Valentine's is one, and Mother's Day is another. I like your idea of celebrating on a different day!