Saturday, November 2, 2013

Diabetes Awareness Month

November is Diabetes Awareness Month.  If you try to think about diabetes overall it is very overwhelming and stressful.  I wanted to write a little about what diabetes means to me, in a little bit of sporadic flashbacks.

Crying - lots of crying.  At my daughter's diagnosis, my own tears at the thought of a lifelong disease and how seriously sick she was.  My daughter's tears.  Crying at every shot.  Crying at infusion set changes (pump).  Crying because she's tired of it all.  Crying because she's hungry and she's tired of the zero carb foods she can have or crying because she has to eat the food she bolused for and she's not hungry.

My nephew running from every blood sugar check and shot.

The smell of glucose tablets.  The smell of insulin (our 2nd oldest still absolutely hates the smell).

...more tomorrow?  and the rest of the month?

No comments: