Friday, July 19, 2013

review of Sparkly Green Earrings

You'll have to read to almost the end of the book to find out why Melanie Shankle titled her book Sparkly Green Earrings, I didn't want you thinking you missed it.

Melanie is relatable but a bit more privileged. I used to read Melanie's blog*, I had to cut back on all my blog reading but don't remember it being a hard decision to give this one up. I think Melanie is part writer and part comedian (comedienne?). Like a lot of comedians, she makes you laugh but challenges what you think and sometimes you feel insulted. Reading other reviews on Amazon, included in the list might be Girl Scouts, those who like Justice clothes (that includes me though I usually pick these up at garage sales or goodwill), and birthday parties. I think readers need to remember this is more memoir than mom-advice book.

Probably my favorite parts of the book were the laugh out loud funny parts or when she waxes poetically about being a parent. "That's why I believe motherhood gives us the first true glimpse of how God loves us. The kind of love that's irrevocable, unrelenting, unconditional. I think it's the closest humans get to living out 1 Corinthians 13. (page 208)"

Most blog writers don't do well in a book format but I think Melanie writes really well. However, it is hard to understand what age Caroline is at because the book doesn't follow a chronological timeline but jumps around a bit.

I happened to download Sparkly Green Earrings: Catching the Light at Every Turn by Melanie Shankle when it was offered free for the Kindle (I rarely actually read Kindle books so hooray for me!). It was a bonus that this is part of the Tyndale summer reading program.

In case you didn't know the blog address - http://thebigmamablog.com/

No comments: