Tuesday, March 10, 2015

It's the little things

I don't want to dwell on what I've given up by being a diabetic but some of the hardest times are the little things.  Not licking the little bit of icing on my finger after cutting my child's piece of cake.  Not eating the little bit of food left on my child's plate.  I don't want to be wasteful but I don't want to have a high blood sugar from not bolusing, but it's not worth taking my blood sugar and bolusing for that little bit of food.  Not taste-testing as I'm cooking.  Just little moments that make it hard to be diabetic.

2 comments:

Laddie said...

I mostly noticed how much extra food I eat when cooking or feeding the grandkids when I did an3-week celiac trial. I couldn't count the times I almost put a Cheerio or cracker in my mouth. And I definitely enjoy chocolate chip cookie dough....

Joanne said...

My daughter was dx'd at the age of 12 months, and believe it or not, this was a question I used to ask myself.

I'm thankful for her pump that lets me bolus on the fly for those spoon-licking moments